Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

(un)Sloppy Joes

This has to be one of my favorite meals. It's such a simple summer camp food, but there's something about Sloppy Joes that I love. Every time I go home my mom asks what I want for dinner. I always say "Sloppy Joes please!" No steak or fancy meals. Sloppy Joes satisfy my hunger pains.

It was actually my mom that suggested making these for dinner. It sounded perfect - until I saw that they're supposed to simmer for 1 hour! (It was already after 6:30) But don't worry. If nothing else, just bump the heat up and everything cooks faster.

Sloppy Joes
2 tbsp butter
1 lb chopped beef
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
salt to taste
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 C catsup
1/2 C water

1)  Chop up the celery and onions.  
2)  Brown the celery, onions and beef in 2 tbsp butter. Once the beef is browned, make sure to drain the grease. (I forgot to do this once and I had Sloppy Joe Soup instead). Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about an hour. NOTE: I would recommend just turning up the heat a little (medium-low roughly) so the water will evaporate faster. Once most of the liquid is gone, you're ready to eat!
I know, I know. This doesn't look too appealing. But it gets my seal of approval.

That's more like it!

This is what I was munching on the whole time I was cooking: Calidad Tortilla Chips. Under $2 at Walmart! And they are GOOD. I always try to find chips that don't have a lot of salt on them. I would say this bag is pretty light on the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment