Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Quick Chicken Potato Bowl

I remember seeing KFC commercials years ago for this little bowl of food. They called it a Chicken Potato Bowl...and I thought they looked disgusting. I have never liked my food mixing together. Everything needs to be on a separate portion of my plate. I still consider using my kiddie airplane plate with the 3 sections every now and then.

While away at college, I finally had my first Chicken Potato Bowl. I fell in love and it became a weekly staple. Every Tuesday was Chicken Potato Bowl day at the dining hall. Boy, was I missing out. My friend and I have started a Tuesday night dinner together. We switch off who cooks and this week it was me. I haven't this since last year (when I was still eating dorm food) so thought I would bring back the tradition. And they are SO easy to make!


Chicken Potato Bowl
- frozen chicken (I used popcorn chicken you just heat up in the oven)
- 1 can of corn
- mashed potatoes
- cheddar cheese
- chicken gravy (optional for me)

1.  Boil a pot of water and peel the potatoes. I went a little potato happy and made 4. Put the potatoes in the water until they start to fall apart when you touch them with a fork.

2.  In the meantime, start cooking the chicken. Follow the directions on the package. Cook the corn in the microwave according to the directions on the can.

3.  Mash the potatoes to your liking. I just used butter and milk this time, with a little garlic powder. I really like mashed potatoes with sour cream. Add the chicken and corn. You can add chicken gravy and cheese to your liking. Just heat the gravy on the stove. I personally prefer mine plain, but if you want it true KFC style, make it with all the fixings.

(I'm still not the greatest with this food photography, so you may be thinking what I thought the first time I saw that KFC ad)


I also made some garlic bread, just because. (OK, because I LOVE bread and eat it all the time)

Just spread some butter on bread, add garlic powder and Parmesan cheese, and pop it in the oven. Yum. So quick and so easy. And a great meal with as few ingredients as possible!

What meals did you think looked disgusting before actually trying them and loving them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment