Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eggless Banana Muffins

I always seem to buy bananas and let them sit around. Thank god for banana bread! The ripe bananas were screaming at me, but there was a slight problem - we had no eggs. I jumped on the computer and found several recipes for banana bread that didn't require eggs. I thought I'd try them out. (I turned them into muffins instead, so had to experiment with the time)

Eggless Banana Muffins
1/2 C canola oil or shortening
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas
1-2 tsp vanilla
chocolate chips (optional)
nuts (optional)

I found these pretty easy to make and they didn't take very long.


1) Cream shortening & sugar. Add vanilla. {Don't be alarmed when it looks like a crumbled mess. This is exactly what happened to me, but it will all work out}
2) Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Cut up bananas and blend them into the mixture. Add chocolate chips and/or nuts at this point.
3) Fill the baking cups about 3/4 full. I used an ice cream scoop to measure the dough out. 

4) Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. Really watch them, though. I took them out after about 20 minutes when the tops started to get golden brown, but then the middles started sinking. I put them back into the oven until a toothpick came out clean.

 The end product was a little dense and seem to be missing something, but I can't put my finger on it. They have stayed fresh for about 4 days, which is always a plus when it comes to home baked treats.
Do you have a go-to muffin recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment